I love cooking. I have been cooking since I was a child. In particular I have always loved baking and making puddings. I have a sweet tooth and this is reflected in my cooking. I made the family's Christmas cake for the first time when I was seven. My after school hobby was baking. I would be most happy to get the oven on and get baking. My sister and I set up a cafe in a shed outside and pretended it was for paying customers. Only Mum and Dad came but we loved it.
In my adult life I continue to bake a lot. I am famous at work for baking. I often hold baking sales for charity. Last year for Children in Need I baked cupcake orders. People thought I was mad and at moments I did too but it was good fun and it worked out really well, making lots of money for the charity. In recent years I started making cupcakes. I have so many cupcakes books, sprinkles, colourings, piping sets and pretty paper cases. When I set up my blog just over a year ago it had to have cupcake mentioned in the title.
I also love making desserts. In summer I love making cheesecakes. Our traditional family cheesecake is creme de menthe. I am pregnant just now so can't have it. Now that in the UK the weather is turning colder I love to make a warm pudding. There is something comforting about the oven being on in the kitchen and the smell of the baking. To me that's how I best love my house. All of a sudden I am searching recipe books for seasonal pudding recipes. Last weekend I had bought some lovely plums and decided on a plum and maple syrup crumble. This is a recipe I would love to share with you. It's very easy to make, it contains fresh fruit and is really yummy.
Maple Plum Crumble
Serves 4
8 ripe plums, halved, stones removed
50g butter, cut into pieces
50 g plain flour
50g rolled oats
25g caster sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
25g flaked almonds
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the plum halves skin side down, in the base of a large heatproof dish. Drizzle over half the maple syrup and roast for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the butter, flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and rub together until you have rough crumbs. Stir in the almonds. Sprinkle the crumble over the plums and drizzle with the remaining maple syrup.
Bake for 15 minutes more until the top is golden.
Serve with custard or vanilla icecream.
This is a very simple pudding. It won't take you long to prepare or even bake but it is lovely on a colder evening.
Today I am making sticky toffee pudding so please hop back on here soon and you will see my recipe for it.
So as part of this blog hop, hop onto http://curlyscrapbooker.blogspot.com/. After looking at this blog I realised I went to Scrap a Mia with this lady earlier this year. It's amazing how small the scrapping world is and so may of us have cooking as a common interest too.
Thanks to Amy for arranging this fun foodie event.
Thanks to Amy for arranging this fun foodie event.




I love crumble it is such a great pudding for using seasonal fruit and I love your take on it. I will definitely be popping back later for sticky toffee pudding... I think I just love puddings!!
ReplyDeleteAnne, thank you so much for participating today - I love crumbles but have not tried a plum one before .... I will be now!
ReplyDeleteI hope all this cooking is ok for you at the moment, I hated cooking while I was pregnant - the smells were too much for me!
I too love crumbles and ice cream...LOTS!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the photo of the plums! We are all crumble lovers in this house but I've never used oats before, thanks, I'll give it a try. :)
ReplyDeleteJust reading your post as made my mouth water!!I'm a great lover of all things sweet,I'm afraid...and have just recently started making cupcakes.
ReplyDeleteCrumble is a pudding we often have...but this is a completetly new recipe to me....and will definately be trying it....sounds wonderful.
Mmmm, this looks scrumptious, Anne. We love plums, and anything which cooks in one pot (which is all we have at the moment) is a great boon! Thank-you!
ReplyDeleteThis looks yummy. I love crumble with almonds in the topping, so I shall definitely give this one a whirl! xx
ReplyDeleteI've never tried a plum crumble too, but plums and maple syrup? How can you go wrong? Sounds delicious and I'll be back to check on the toffee pudding!
ReplyDeletelovely pudding and where do you get the posh maple syrup? i loved scrapamia and am going again this year, 2011, already booked my place. hope to see u there with baby?
ReplyDeleteJo xxxx
Oh, this sounds yummy and plums are one of my guys' favorite fruits, thanks for the recipe. Congratulations on you pregnancy!
ReplyDeleteWow, that looks fantastic! I never know what to do with plums and my kids love Maple syrup (good Canadian beasts that they are!) this is perfect. Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I believe congratulations are in order!
ReplyDeleteI loved the story of your shop outside the shed :) And I also love the idea of a different crumble recipe - we love crumble but the family is getting a bit fed up with my apple version. This is definitely one I will be trying, thank you.
I love fruit crumble of any kind, so will be trying this one out very soon, thanks!
ReplyDeleteMy husband will LOVE this recipe, it has lots of ingredients that he loves, have never thought of putting maple syrup with plums for a crumble but am keen to try it now I've seen yours!
ReplyDeleteWow this looks delicious! I'm realizing that "pudding" for my UK friends is what we call "cobbler" in the US. I'm learning as I go on this blog hop.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the yummy recipe, the sweet comment you left on my blog, and CONGRATS on your pregnancy! xo
Congratulations on your baby news :-)
ReplyDeleteThe crumble looks delicious (I'd have to leave out the nuts - I'm allergic - I'm sure it would still taste delicious though!) and I will *definitely* be back for the toffee pudding recipe, yum.... x
Sounds delicious. My friend had a plum tree in her back garden so I had no shortage of plums - but she has now moved and shop bought plums really don't taste the same.
ReplyDeletehow FUN to both introduce maple syrup into our blog hop offerings! cool!
ReplyDeleteyours sounds delish :) and definitely worth giving a go!
COngrats on this great NEWS for you! woohoo:)
thx for your visit & chat at FHC!
see you soon..
This looks a scrumptious recipe.
ReplyDeletelooks divine!!! thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete