Tuesday, 11 January 2011

Maternity leave starts

I can't quite believe I am now finished work and have just three weeks to go before baby's due date. I finished work on Friday and am on holiday this week and will start maternity leave on Monday. It's lovely being at home. I can get so much done in the house and take time to rest when I need to.

I had a lovely send off from work on Friday. I arrived at work to find a gift bag sitting on my desk. Inside was a newborn 4 piece outfit consisting of hat, bib, sleep suit and vest and all in yellow with a duck theme. Also there was a grobag for baby to sleep in.







It was then a quiet morning and I worked away and tidied up my desk. One friend came and said goodbye as she had the afternoon off. She gave me a good luck card and a tin of Roses chocolates for me and Gareth to treat ourselves. I came back from lunch to find my desk decorated with pink and blue ribbons and sequins. It was so pretty. It was my friend Diane who had done this. Another colleague whose wife had a baby 7 weeks ago gave me nappies. His son had outgrown the first size of nappies they had bought so he thought I could use them.Considering a baby may needs its nappy changed 10 times a day these will definitely be needed.



Then at 3pm my manager came in to talk to me and told me to stop working. I then turned around and saw about 20 people all in my room. My manager did a speech and then I was presented with a card and vouchers for Mothercare. I was so touched. It was a nice way to say goodbye. I came home and was on cloud nine.  Gareth was amazed at the generosity of my colleagues. This was my gifts all sitting together.



My card






Then during the night about 3am I realised I had forgotten to update a report for my manager. I panicked all night and was insisting I would go to work at the weekend and sort it out. Gareth wouldn't allow me and said it could wait until Monday. I phoned a friend yesterday morning who helped me and it is done now.

Today I am expecting a delivery of a carry cot which will slot into the pram. When baby is older the pram becomes a pushchair. I have ordered a TENS machine which will give pain relief in labour. It should arrive this week. I have booked for us to have a tour of a birthing centre on Sunday where I may go for rest after giving birth at Princess Anne Maternity hospital in Southampton. It's great being able to make phone calls and get on with things at home. This afternoon I plan to relax and watch a film. I am making the most of my time before baby Howell arrives.
n

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lovely finish to work, enjoy these last few weeks preparing for your new arrival! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne... it sounds like you had a wonderful last day at work. The ducky outfit is just soooo cute.
    Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you about the nappies... I'll send you an email later (once my little ones have gone to bed)
    Hugs
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete