Monday, 30 November 2009

Cookies for Cookie Blog train

I am so excited to share my cookie recipe with you as part of the Cookie Blog Train I'm taking part in. I baked some Gooey Chocolate Cherry cookies tonight and have just sat down and enjoyed one with a nice mug of hot chocolate. It was the perfect treat for a very cold night here on the south coast of England. The flavours of chocolate and cherry are two that work well together and I just love the combination. These cookies taste so good. My photo of the baked cookies isn't great I'm afraid. They taste great but don't look like a standard cookie. Tonight I was a bit generous with each spoonful of the mixture when putting it on the baking tray. Each cookie merged into the other one so I ended up pretty much with a baking tray covered in cookie. Never mind, I cut them up as best I could and they taste just as good as nice rounded ones. Please don't let this put you off making them. Just be careful of the size of each spoonful.

So here is the recipe for Gooey Chocolate Cherry cookies

Ingredients
200g unsalted butter , at room temperature

85g light muscovado sugar
85g golden caster sugar
1 egg
225g self-raising flour
50g plain chocolate , 50-70% cocoa, roughly chopped
50g white chocolate , roughly chopped
85g natural colour glacé cherries , roughly chopped
 
 

 
Method
Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Beat the butter, sugars and egg until smooth, then mix in the flour, chocolates and cherry pieces and ½ tsp salt. Spoon onto non-stick baking sheets in large rough blobs - you'll get 20 out of this mix. Make sure they are well spaced as the cookies grow substantially as they bake. The raw dough can be frozen.
 
 



Bake for 12-14 mins until just golden, but still quite pale and soft in the middle. If baking from frozen, give them a few mins more. Cool on the sheets for 5 mins, then lift onto racks with a fish slice and leave to cool completely.

Other flavours
Try swapping the cherries for sour cherries, nuts or even more chocolate.




I hope I have encouraged you to give these a go. They are lovely and soft and chewy with a lovely flavour.



6 comments:

  1. Those look yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I will have to give them a try since my son loves chocolate & cherries together.

    Is there a link to the next person in the cookie swap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! You are at the end of the train so there would be no link on yours, huh? : ) I just came to yours first because I was early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, chocolate & cherries! Could there be anything more blissful! These actually look healthy (please, let me keep my illusions!) Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound great Anne! I will definitely add these to my recipe file.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious....I'm definately trying them.

    ReplyDelete